Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Powerpoint, Modules, and VirginiaTech

Today, I was working with my CT (cooperating teacher) after school at a math club with children who scored below passing on their benchmarks and SOLs. My teacher used a PowerPoint to show her math problems. She told me that PowerPoint is the only reason she gets things accomplished in that class full of rowdy kids because by using PowerPoint, it allows her to pull up problems using a remote, instead of writing it on the board. This way, she says, she can keep a strict eye on the students and they get a lot more done this way. Before using PowerPoint, she said every time she turned to put a problem on the board, they would get off-task.

I finished my science module and will be revising it a little to teach a lesson in my kindergarten science class. My group also finished setting up the science circus for Mrs. Melzer’s second grade class which we will be doing next Wednesday. This is the lesson I have decided to incorporate technology in by having the kids use laptops in the science circus, more on that later. I will post pictures of the science circus next week. I am anxious to see how it will go, teaching my first lesson with 22 second graders

On a personal note, my sister currently lives in West Ambler Johnston Hall at Virginia Tech where some of the shootings occurred. Her hallmate and friend were among those killed on Monday so I will be going home to be with her. God bless those families whose loved ones are no longer with them. I am so lucky to still have her with me.

I would really like to thank my awesome tech teacher Professor Nassbaum-Beach for bearing with me during a tough semester and being incredibly helpful, understanding, kind, and flexible.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am glad your sister is safe and that you are there for her.

You have been a wonderful student. I am so glad you have chosen education. You will make a difference in the lives of your students.